Saturday 25 July 2015

A Night in Vienna

A NIGHT IN VIENNA
Attending an Italian Mission School is no good experience unless you are a music/arts/comp/foreign languages student; that way you are sure of having some small fun and freedom away from the strict catholic cultures. Personally I escaped to music. My highest moment was when Music took me to Vienna.


Austria’s Vienna is the undisputed cradle and capital of classical music. She has welcomed Mozart, Haydn, Mahler, Schubert, Schoenberg among other great music prodigies and geniuses. Vienna boasts of the best and most spectacular operas in the world. For the non-musicals operas are plays in music, they are our “conducting Jim Carreys, singing Mr Beans, chanting Chris Rocks,drumming Kevin Harts, humming Cosbys et al in a theatre…”


vienna_opera_house_interior.jpg
Interior view of The Vienna State Opera House 
While Kenya has a sweet, bold, decaying monument as Kenya National Theatre; Vienna has a grand, noble, charming architectural in its State Opera House where all glorious esoteric music lives on. By the way, Kenya National Theatre is undergoing a 1-year renovation at an estimated cost of 100 million :) ; Now compare this with the 10,000,000 US Dollars and  9 years spent refurbishing the Vienna State House Opera (Cry, the Beloved Country! How we cheaply invest in arts, timewise and moneywise)
StateOperaViennaNightBackside.jpg
View of The Vienna State Opera House from the outside
KENYA_NATIONAL_THEATRE_IS_NOT_YET_DEAD_SAYS_AGHAN_ODERO3.jpg
Front View of Kenya National Theatre


You have not visited Vienna until you have watched operas in their State Opera House. I remember my host actually joking that “In Kenya you tell wageni Hakuna Matata In Vienna Opera lovers cannot be choosers”. As a rule of thumb I hate formal wear more so suits and anything that you have to tuck in, but here was Vienna’s unwritten rule that Thou shalt not attend opera without a suit. (too bad suits await me when I start pressing ‘em as a lawyer, law school was a bad decision) Viennese customs dictate that a gentleman has to be in a suit, a white tie, and a black tail coat. Now, the white tie was no big deal, ages ago I had worn one, rather forced to one in a black corduroy suit at my grandpa’s golden jubilee. As if been in a tailcoat was no torture, Vienna’s sweet culture demand that you wear medals on your coat. Not those Rudisha’s-like Olympic medals but rather the school-like Best in … For the night, my host lent me a good-conduct medal for been the most-promising students leader!


Hameln1.jpg
Artist Impression of Pied Piper  of Hamelin leading the rats to the river
Feeling ridiculously and funnily dressed, I rode into the State Opera House. On entering the Opera House I was met with approving stares and smiles of Karibu Nyumbani; which unluckily added to my confusion and unease. Walking to my seat, in my tailcoat and white tie I felt like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Only difference was, instead of rodents following me, eyes were following me. Instead of a pipe, I had a program for the evening and as always my Kung recorder. The unease I felt made me make an abrupt decision of killing my dream of becoming a pro music conductor- who wants to live sweating in uneasiness of suits, rather than enjoying the music?


As happy days go, my stay in Vienna saves for my brief affair with suits was one of my happiest times. Vienna, I shall come again, very soon but not to wear a white tie. I wouldn’t be writing on Vienna if I hadn’t enjoyed this assignment on the Vienna Convention on the law of Treaties, would I?

Inside.jpg
Interior View of the Kenya National Theatre
vienna-state-opera3.jpg
An interior view of the State Opera House when filled

No comments:

Post a Comment